Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Outlook for Librarians - (from Occupational Outlook Handbook - Bureau of Labor Statistics)

According to the latest Occupational Outlook Handbook, job prospects for librarians is expected to be favorable and growth is expected to be at least as good as the average of all fields. The outlook is based on a large number of librarians retiring in the next decade.

As I read the report, I feel better about my job prospects, but not as confident as I was in job opportunities the last time I was looking for a job in 2004. One adjustment I'll make this time around will be a willingness to volunteer. It seems the library profession offers volunteer opportunities, which will benefit me by putting my skills to use, acquiring new skills, and networking with other professionals.

For now, most of my effort is dedicated to getting the most out of my classwork, rather than job searching.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos068.htm

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment