Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Amazon Sells More E-Books Than Hardcovers

Kindle the eBook 2.0Image by jurvetson via Flickr

It's not surprising that e-books outsold hardcovers considering the cost of an e-book is 1/3 of a hardcover and the cost of the Kindle is now under $200. I think this may have a positive effect for libraries who still lend hardcovers.

I wonder how this will effect gift giving. Hardcovers make nice gifts, but people may be reluctant to give them as gifts if they are not wanted. I'm not sure if an e-book can be given as a gift in the same way. How do you unwrap an e-book? (I know there's a thing called a gift certificate.)

Maybe the look of hardcovers or the features of them will change in order to make them desirable (and marketable.) Maybe there will be extras in the print version. Heck, maybe it will be the other way around - maybe there will be extras in the print version. Or special features. In any event, I think some type of innovation in coming down the pike that takes advantage of this trend. What? I don't know exactly.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment