Sunday, September 12, 2010

Internship Reflection

I started an internship at a local public library last week and I'm glad library school provides the opportunity of an internship. I'm happy for the opportunity to gain direct work experience in a public library.

The day started with a tour of the library and training with the main library management system. The training on the library system went very well and I was ready to work the circulation desk with supervision. I enjoy training, both as the trainer and student. The training method used was one I call "Talk, Show, Do." The training started with talking about the library system and then a demonstration of the major features. Later, I was given time to work at the circulation desk in order to practice what I've learned. The experience was lovely. I'm looking forward to more time working at the circulation desk because I like working directly with customers.

The circulation desk is at the front of the library near the entrance to the library. The reference desk is further back in the library behind the public computer workstations. The tasks at the circulation desk include checking in and checking out materials for customers. As well, print jobs from the public computers are managed at the circulation desk too. I had an opportunity to help two people with their computer tasks and I felt pretty good that I was able to provide the help they needed. One customer needed help with the computer desktop in order to view some of the windows that were giving her trouble. I showed her how to adjust the zoom and minimize the text size so that the information she wanted to read fit the screen. Another customer needed help printing a photo in the middle of a window that was being cut off because the print area was too small. I realize I know more about computers than I think I know.

I believe first impressions are important. I'm open minded enough to know that it isn't the only thing, but I was very happy to have a great first impression of my workmates, the library, and the community. My workmates were very helpful and made me feel welcome. I also felt great helping the customers that evening. Working in a community gem like a library is a thrill.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment